A friend of mine recently had a baby girl and a group of friends got together to bring the new mom meals and treats in these first few weeks. Of course I volunteered to bring cupcakes!
I used Magnolia Bakery’s vanilla cupcake recipe and the following vanilla frosting recipe…
- 1¾ cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1¼ cups confectioners' sugar, unsalted butter, salt, and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Add milk and continue mixing until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary. With the mixer running, slowly add remaining ½ cup confectioners sugar, mix until well combined.
- I tinted half the frosting pink. To get the pink and white swirl, simply place pink frosting on one side inside of a pastry bag and white frosting on the other side so that the pink and white frostings are side by side. You'll need to squeeze a bit of the frosting out at first to get to the swirled part. It's a really nice effect!
- The swirled stars on the white frosted cupcakes were made simply by squeezing out a small amount of frosting and twisting the pastry bag at the same time.