If you’re a follower of The Sweetest Kitchen you’ll know that I have a slight obsession with Nutella. My latest Nutella creation is Nutella-coffee frosting. I was hoping this would turn out as nice as it sounded and I am pleased to say that it did!
I originally added two teaspoons of instant coffee, but after tasting the final result I would recommend that that amount be cut down to just one teaspoon. The coffee taste was stronger than the Nutella taste and I wanted to taste both flavors.
I put this frosting onto a simple butter cupcake recipe, but it would also taste nice with chocolate or mocha cupcakes, I think.
A layered cupcake, Nutella sandwiched in between, Nutella/coffee frosting on top, sprinkled with mini chocolate chips.
Thank you Cupcakes Take The Cake, for posting my Nutella sandwich cupcake on your blog!
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon milk with 1 teaspoon instant coffee and stir until coffee is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, Nutella, sugar, salt, vanilla, and the 1 tablespoon coffee-milk mixture. Mix well with electric mixer, adding more milk as needed to make a fluffy spreadable frosting.
- Makes enough to frost 10-12 cupcakes if just spreading it on with a knife.