Zombie Halloween Cupcakes

A couple of weeks ago I was leisurely browsing through Bake It Pretty, in particular the Halloween decorations.  When I saw the zombie hand cupcake toppers, I knew I had to order them and make a batch of Halloween cupcakes.  I have never made a Halloween cupcake before; the closest I’ve came were these pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, but they weren’t exactly scary!

But these are!  This is what I created with Martha Stewart’s awesome Halloween cupcake liners, Bake It Pretty’s zombie hand toppers and a couple of Oreo cookies.

I’ll break it down for you.  First of all, if you’re making Halloween cupcakes, you’ll need these cupcake liners from Martha Stewart.  You can find them at Michael’s craft stores for about $4.

Next, I baked a batch of chocolate pumpkin cupcakes.  I’ve used this recipe before and liked the result.  Then, I whipped up some pumpkin buttercream to fill these cupcakes with.

The cupcakes are frosted with a plain chocolate buttercream, and perhaps there’s a bit too much frosting for my own liking, but I wanted a nice big round top on these.

I finely crushed 10 Oreo sandwich cookies, which ended up being way too many for 12 cupcakes; 6 probably would have been enough.  I dipped each cupcake top into the crushed Oreos to completely coat them.

For the “tombstones”, I found Oreo Fudgees made perfect-shaped tombstones.  I took the Fudgee sandwich cookies apart, scraped off the filling and stuck one side of the Fudgee into each cupcake, then stuck a zombie hand in front of the tombstones.

They’re quite spicy; I can taste a hint of ginger over all the other spices in the cupcake and filling (the filling had the most ginger).  And like I said, there’s a bit too much chocolate frosting, which makes a bit too sweet for me.  The kids love them though!  The decorations make a perfect Halloween cupcake – remember, you can find the zombie hands at Bake It Pretty’s Halloween shop!

This is my entry into Iron Cupcake: Earth for October’s theme ingredient “music” – these cupcakes are perfect for one of my favorite songs by the late Michael Jackson, “Thriller”!

Our Generous IronCupcake:Earth Prize Providers:

I’m also entering these cupcakes into Cupcake Hero for October’s theme ingredient of pumpkin and/or Halloween.  This will be my first ever entry into Cupcake Hero!

48 thoughts on “Zombie Halloween Cupcakes

1. Dawn C.

These are SO cute! Beautiful, in a ghoulish sort of way. :) I can’t believe how perfect that cookie works for the tombstone! I am definitely making some of these. Well done!

1. Jamieanne Post author

I thought about using Milano cookies, but am glad I remembered about the Fudgees! The dark cookie looks better than a golden cookie would have.

2. Deanna

I’ve seen a lot of Halloween Cupcakes out there over the past week or so. These are my absolute favorite!! You will definitely get my vote for both ICE and Cupcake Hero. Definitely a great entree for the music theme as Thriller was the very first thing I thought of when I saw your pics.

3. Chelsey Sas

What a brilliant idea – and they look absolutely delicious! Have been searching the web for ides for Halloween but need search no more!

4. Pingback: How to Make Halloween Cupcakes | RecipeLionBlog

5. Pingback: October Links of the Month-Halloween Edition | Once A Chef Always a Chef

1. Jamieanne Post author

Thanks, Jessy! I do like these cupcakes, but my favorite of my two Halloween cupcakes are the dulce de leche pumpkin ones with the spiders. :)

6. tina shedd

You need to re read your recipe…I just wasted a whole can of cocoa before I realized that it couldn’t be right….1/4 cup and 3 3/4 cups of cocoa powder with only a cup of flour..I feel completely stupid..I was so excited about making these and I kept saying can’t be right can’t be right..but I said no maybe I’m wrong give it a try….well it wasn’t it looks more like cookie dough..I could roll it out and cut them..complete waste of all that time and ingredients…please change this before somebody else waste that money and time..I am so disappointed with myself no thinking that it was a typo on somebodys doings…looks great though..wish I could say they tasted good…bummed

1. Jamieanne Post author

Tina, you are absolutely right and I’m so sorry! I honestly do reread every post and recipe before publishing, but this one obviously got past me. It was meant to be “tablespoons”, not “cups”. I know exactly how you feel as this has happened to me in the past as well. I encourage readers of my blog to leave a comment and ask questions if they are unsure of a recipe. It is however entirely my fault and I accept all the blame! Once again, I am sincerely sorry.

1. tina shedd

I understand..more upset with myself because I kept telling myself that has to be an error..but I still did it..I will try again though..let you know how it goes, Tina

1. Jamieanne Post author

I have to apologize again, and you’re going to hate me now for sure, but the absolute correct measurement is

1/4 cup + 3 3/4 tablespoons cocoa powder

I wrote my above comment at 4AM as soon as I saw your comment, but as I was so quick to apologize I didn’t write what I meant to write, which was tablespoons!

Please don’t let this deter you from trying anything else on my blog! :oops:

7. vincent

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

8. Pingback: Night of the Day of the Dawn of the 28 Days of Zombieland Cupcakes « Have Fork, Will Eat

9. Annie

Awesome! Cupake ideas! I’ve just linked to this in my article. So creative. I love the filling in the middle makes for a great surprise once you’ve finished eating the yummy topping.

10. Pingback: Weekend Sundries #1 — Liberty Elle

11. Pingback: Zombie chocolate pumpkin filled cupcakes for Halloween | Love Cupcakes

12. Pingback: More Halloween Cupcakes Ideas | The Sweets Bar

13. Carlene

If any of you out there have as hard of a time making your cupcakes look that good, I have a solution for you. I found some halloween cupcake liners that can make any cupcake look good. I love to entertain and they are always a HIT!

14. Pingback: Zombie Halloween Cupcakes

15. Pingback: Church of Halloween » Halloween Cupcakes (29 Images)

16. Pingback: Zombie Recipe Ideas - Apocalypse Party - A Helicopter Mom

17. Pingback: Frikkin Awesome Halloween Cupcakes - Frikkin Awesome!