A couple of weeks ago I was leisurely browsing through Bake It Pretty, in particular the Halloween decorations. When I saw the zombie hand cupcake toppers, I knew I had to order them and make a batch of Halloween cupcakes. I have never made a Halloween cupcake before; the closest I’ve came were these pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, but they weren’t exactly scary!
But these are! This is what I created with Martha Stewart’s awesome Halloween cupcake liners, Bake It Pretty’s zombie hand toppers and a couple of Oreo cookies.
I’ll break it down for you. First of all, if you’re making Halloween cupcakes, you’ll need these cupcake liners from Martha Stewart. You can find them at Michael’s craft stores for about $4.
Next, I baked a batch of chocolate pumpkin cupcakes. I’ve used this recipe before and liked the result. Then, I whipped up some pumpkin buttercream to fill these cupcakes with.
The cupcakes are frosted with a plain chocolate buttercream, and perhaps there’s a bit too much frosting for my own liking, but I wanted a nice big round top on these.
I finely crushed 10 Oreo sandwich cookies, which ended up being way too many for 12 cupcakes; 6 probably would have been enough. I dipped each cupcake top into the crushed Oreos to completely coat them.
For the “tombstones”, I found Oreo Fudgees made perfect-shaped tombstones. I took the Fudgee sandwich cookies apart, scraped off the filling and stuck one side of the Fudgee into each cupcake, then stuck a zombie hand in front of the tombstones.
They’re quite spicy; I can taste a hint of ginger over all the other spices in the cupcake and filling (the filling had the most ginger). And like I said, there’s a bit too much chocolate frosting, which makes a bit too sweet for me. The kids love them though! The decorations make a perfect Halloween cupcake – remember, you can find the zombie hands at Bake It Pretty’s Halloween shop!
This is my entry into Iron Cupcake: Earth for October’s theme ingredient “music” – these cupcakes are perfect for one of my favorite songs by the late Michael Jackson, “Thriller”!
Our Generous IronCupcake:Earth Prize Providers:
- The Demy™ by Key Ingredient
- Hello, Cupcake by Karen Tack & Alan Richardson
- Bella Cupcake Couture
- Cupcake Stackers by Gourmac
- The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! by Anne Byrne
- 1 cup + 2½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup + 3¾ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup + 2½ teaspoons buttermilk
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon + 1¾ teaspoons pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.25 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon + 1¾ teaspoons dark brown sugar
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon + 1¾ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Oreo decorations:
- 7 finely crushed Oreo sandwich cookies
- 6 Oreo Fudgees sandwich cookies, pulled apart and filling removed
- 12 zombie hand cupcake toppers from Bake It Pretty
- Pumpkin buttercream:
- ½ cup + 2½ teaspoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons + 1⅛ teaspoons pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces confectioners’ sugar
- Chocolate buttercream:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup milk (plus a few tablespoons to adjust consistency)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F; line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, blending well after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely, then using the cone method, fill cupcakes with pumpkin buttercream (recipe follows).
- Frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting (recipe follows), then dip the frosted tops into the finely crushed Oreos to evenly coat. Stick an Oreo Fudgee “tombstone” into the top of each cupcake, and place a zombie hand in front of it.
- For the pumpkin buttercream: With electric mixer, cream butter and pumpkin (mixture will look grainy). Turn mixer to low and add cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla. Slowly add ½ cup confectioners’ sugar at a time until the buttercream is creamy and no longer separating (the mixture will look grainy if there isn’t enough sugar mixed in).
- For the chocolate buttercream: Beat butter and cocoa until smooth, then add sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth with each addition . Add milk and vanilla and beat for about 3 minutes.