According to the magazine where I found this recipe, avocado, tomato and mint on rye is a classic Aussie cafe staple. I, myself, have never heard of it before, and perhaps that’s because whenever I go to a cafe I tend to order a coffee and cake rather than an actual meal!
When I saw this recipe, which comes from an issue of delicious. magazine from April 2010, I first noticed how easy and fresh it is. The combination of flavors really intrigued me as well.
This simple little Aussie cafe breakfast classic is so quick to make that you could have it for breakfast before work or school. Or if you don’t work or go to school, then it makes a great brunch. It’s so fresh and delicious, you’ll love it!
The original recipe serves 4, but I splurged and gave myself 2 slices of toast instead of just 1! It’s a versatile recipe in that you don’t really need exact amounts – just add the ingredients to suit your tastes.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, quartered
- 2 large roma tomatoes
- 4 thick slices light rye bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 mint leaves, torn
- Leaves from ½ butter lettuce
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Slice the avocado evenly lengthways, keeping the slices together. Cut the tomatoes in half, then slice each half evenly, keeping the slices together.
- Grill or toast the bread on both sides to your liking, then lightly brush with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Place an avocado half and a tomato half on each slice of toast, fanning the slices out slightly. Scatter with mint, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve with salad leaves and lime wedges.