First of all, I apologize for the lack of posting! Last week I said I was going to post about something exciting that happened to me, but I never got around to it because I was struck down by one of the most awful illnesses I have yet experienced. The doctor I visited told me it was most likely gastroenteritis, and who knows what it was caused by. Our first guess would be food poisoning. Anyway, it lasted for 5 days, during which I lost over 10 pounds. I was really happy to be feeling better – it felt so strange to feel normal again, and when I was able to eat again, the food tasted so flavorful and strong. It’s now been 7 days since the illness began and it’s great to have all that behind me.
The exciting announcement post is still forthcoming – I’m nowhere near completing it. In the meantime, I’ll share this recipe from Donna Hay with you. It’s chicken yakitori with cucumber salad – a really easy Japanese-inspired dish that you could whip up on a weeknight.
Mirin, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil make this really flavorful and delicious. And as long as you have a mandolin slicer you can make pretty ribbons of cucumber as well!
You may read the recipe and look back at the picture only to realize that there is no wasabi on my plate. I cannot eat wasabi, it is way too hot for my taste!
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 160g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and chopped
- 3 green onions (scallions), chopped in 3cm lengths
- wasabi, to serve
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- Cucumber Salad:
- ¼ cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon miron
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- Place the soy sauce, mirin and maple syrup in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the chicken and green onion and toss to coat. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
- To make the cucumber salad, place the vinegar, vegetable and sesame oil, mirin and cucumber in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Thread the chicken and green onion onto skewers, reserving the marinade. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat and char-grill or barbecue the skewers for 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan over high heat and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through and thickened slightly. Serve the chicken with the cucumber salad, yakitori marinade and wasabi.