Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies

Share on Facebook1,065Tweet about this on Twitter26Pin on Pinterest30,456Email this to someone

Oh no, not another chocolate and peanut butter post!  Yes, yes, it is.  I’m sorry to my readers who are so sick of hearing me continue on about peanut butter and chocolate!  I just can’t get enough of this flavor combination though and when I searched for a recipe for peanut butter blondies I came across one that had chocolate chips in it and within minutes I was sitting out all the ingredients to put these blondies together.

Oh, how delicious these were!  And I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they tasted nice with coffee.  If you want to make these too, please do so immediately!  They are so quick to make and you’ll be rewarded with the delicious taste of gooey peanut butter and gooey chocolate in no time.

My only change to the original recipe was to divide everything in half and place the batter into an 8×8″ square pan.  I recommend eating these by the second day after you make them, because they seemed to dry out and harden after the second day, even though I had them covered tightly.  It shouldn’t be a problem to eat them quickly, however!

Comments

I think some flavour combinations are unbeatable, including chocolate and peanut, so you’re excused for coming back to them! These look gorgeous, thanks very much.

I just threw a batch of these in the oven! Based on how the batter tasted, I have a feeling this will be our new favourite recipe!

I’m so glad you enjoyed these blondies! This recipe has become a favorite of mine since I first posted it… I actually made a batch a few days ago. I’ll usually halve the recipe and use an 8×8 pan too so I don’t go too crazy ;)

4. Andrea says

I just made these tonight and the batter turned out to be crumbly instead of “battery” lol. I wonder what I did wrong? The only thing I could think of was that I didn’t let the peanut butter mixture cool COMPLETELY before I added it to the flour mixture? They still tasted great! Just too crumbly!

5. Elizabeth says

I just made these and am a little disappointed… they turned out kind of bland and really aren’t anything to write home about. Hope everyone else who tries has better luck.

6. BJ says

The directions are confusing. You say, “Add the egg and mix well”, but what am I adding it to? The peanut butter mixture or the dry mixture?

• says

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn’t realize before, but you’re right, it is confusing! I have changed the instructions around; I hope they are more clear now. :)

7. SarahSmile says

These are AMAZING!! I even halfed your half-recipe since I’m a single gal with no self control ;) and they were perfect!! This one’s definitely a keeper! Thanks!!

8. Amy says

Is the batter supposed to be hard and super thick? My was so thick i had to press it in the pan like dough. They’ll be out in 20 minutes though, so I guess I’ll see if the taste is fine.

Hi there! I was going to make these for my boyfriends birthday and wanted to know what peanut butter you suggest to use? Also, is the recipe above for an 8×8 pyrex dish? I saw something about halving the recipe and just wanted to be sure! Thanks!!

• says

Hi Lauren, I can’t remember exactly what I used the first time I made these, but I did re-make this recipe recently using just average peanut butter (equivalent of Jif in the US). I haven’t tried using crunchy peanut butter. I also used an 8×8-inch square metal baking tin and not a glass dish. If you use a glass dish you may need to bake it a little longer, not entirely sure though. Just be sure not to overbake the blondies or you’ll lose the gooey-ness that blondies are famous for. :)

• says

Oh good to know!! Yes, that would make a big difference – I’ll make sure I get the metal baking tin. Thank you for the tips! :)

10. Jean-Marie says

Just to be clear – if I was going to make this recipe in a 13×9 baking pan, I would just double the ingredients??

• says

Yes, it should work out just fine! The original recipe (linked to in the post above) was for a 9×13-inch baking pan, but I knew I wouldn’t need that many blondies. I just simply halved every ingredient amount and put it in an 8×8-inch baking pan. Just have a look at the original recipe in the link if you’d like to make them in the larger size baking pan, then you won’t have to worry about doing any math! ;)

11. Danielle says

Just made these and turned out pretty good! Next time I would add a bit more PB (and in return add a bit more butter) as I want the PB taste to come through a bit more. I did 20 minutes for an 8×8 pan and they came out the gooey texture :) thanks for the recipe!

12. Kim says

These look great. I am the congo bar expert. I’ll have to make these with the peanut butter.

13. Jeanie says

My mixture came out very crumbly as well could it be I heated the sugar and butter too long??

• Andrea Jones says

I made these 2 x’s now and the first time they were great, the next very crumbly and not brownie like at all. I know the problem was the butter/sugar mixture. The first time I let it cook until just melty and smooth, the next time i cooked it a bit longer because I was multitasking. I knew once it cooled the second time that it was wrong because it got hard and didn’t stay runny. So if you decide to make these only cook the butter/sugar mixture until just smooth, the sugar wont dissolve but it’ll look pourable.

14. jen says

Sorry but these didn’t come out well they tasted floury , I don’t know if it is because I forgot to add the peanut butter to the brown sugar mixture and then just added it later but I wouldn’t think that would matter because I just made sure I mixed everything well together. My boyfriend didn’t like them : [

15. Stella-Maree says

I just took a batch of these out of the oven and yet to try them! The recipe was SO easy to follow, the batter was great to work with and they smell delicious :D

16. Malinda says

I must also be missing something. Made these last night, not good. Dough was super thick, had to press into pan. They came out floury and super hard. Not much of a peanut butter taste at all. Seems half stick (4tbs) of butter might not be enough. Sugar mixture needed more “wet”.

To everyone having trouble, I’m not sure what you’re doing wrong. The butter is absolutely the correct amount. I have made this recipe a couple of times without problems, and even did another post on them here – http://www.sweetestkitchen.com/2012/11/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-blondies-2/ – because this recipe has been the most popular one on my blog for weeks. I halved the original recipe (see link in recipe above), using exactly half of each ingredient. All I can suggest is to be sure to measure the flour correctly (use a spoon to pour the flour into the measuring cup, tap the measuring cup lightly a couple of times, then level the flour off with a knife or similar). Only heat the butter/sugar mixture until the sugar has melted and the mixture is smooth. Be sure to let the mixture cool to room temperature; if you don’t, it might be too hot when it goes in the oven which means the blondies will be over-baked. One of the most important things is not to over-bake the blondies – if you do, you will end up with dry blondies, which is not a good thing. Use an oven thermometer to check your oven is not too hot. If you are unsure, take the blondies out of the oven earlier than the recommended time as it’s better to be under-baked than over-baked. Blondies are supposed to be gooey anyway! I’m sorry to everyone who’s had trouble. Check out the original recipe (again, see the link in the recipe above) and make a full batch if you prefer. I hope, if you decide to try again, you’ll have better luck.

18. Debbie H says

When you say 1/2 stick of butter. How much would that be in a cup? the only unsalted butter I was able to find was a large block that would probably be 2 cups worth.

Thanks

19. Joy says

Hi!
    I made these blondies yesterday, and they were fantastic! I doubled the recipe and baked the blondies in a 9 x 13 inch pan for about 25 minutes. I used hard white whole wheat flour (just spooned into the measuring cup, no tapping), and some off-brand of peanut butter. My 1/2 cup of peanut butter was a bit on the generous side, and when I stirred in the chocolate chips I did add a tablespoon of milk, just to try and avoid a dry bar. Baked the blondies until golden and puffed, with a few cracks along the center, and let them cool for about 1/2 hour before testing the edge. Yum! So good warm, especially with vanilla ice cream. :) Happily, I didn’t find the bars to be dry or bland on the 2nd day………in fact, people kept saying how good they were and nibbling away until there was nothing left. All in all, I success, and one that will be repeated one day! :)

20. Teri says

Love this recipe! I upped the peanut butter to 1/3 cup (instead of 1/4 cup) because I wasn’t getting much peanut butter flavor the first time. I also added 1tbsp of applesauce to the mix right before i added the chocolate chips. Does nothing to the flavor of the bars but helps keep them moist and gooey longer!

21. Judy says

Can you replace all purpose flour with whole wheat flour?? These look really good but I want to make sure before I make them!

22. Norman says

How would you divide everything In half? Half an egg doesn’t really make since?
    Thanks

• says

I think the original recipe (linked to in the post above) called for 2 eggs, so I simply omitted 1 egg, which is why there is 1 egg in the recipe I wrote in my post. You don’t have to worry about using half of an egg.

23. Sara says

I just made these, and they came out amazing. I didn’t melt the sugar/butter mixture for too long, just until it was blended together nicely, and then I made sure to wait until it was completely room temperature. Also, I really worked the dough and then pressed it out into the 8×8 pan by hand. It came out wonderfully after about 21-22 minutes.

Thanks for a wonderful snack break during finals week!

24. Molly says

Made these today after reading through all the previous comments & taking advice/recipe adjustments from others and they turned out PERFECT! Delicious.
    ADDED 1tbsp of milk & upped the PB from 1/4c to 1/3c.
    They could even have a little bit MORE chocolate chips…no such thing as too much chocolate.
    The adjustments made to the recipe made the batter fairly easy to spread. I had no problems.
    Best fresh out of the oven (warm) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream…YUM!

25. corrine says

Hi, I’m 12 and I wanted to make these while my mother and father are at work, Is there any way I don’t have to use baking powder? I searched for it and I couldn’t find any! And the recipe looks great!

26. Clarissa says

I made these today for my husband but the batter came out more like a cookie dough and the final result was rather hard. I messured everything correctly. Not sure if this ea the result of over baking. Let me know if you have had anything similar. Thank you

27. sammy says

What’s baking powder? And what brand? I’m confused. All purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda? What’s the difference between baking soda and baking powder?

28. Lisa says

Pretty good. I used almond butter in lieu of PB. A bit dry. Prob would have baked for 22 min next time. Very easy recipe.

29. Shauna says

im really disappointed with how these turned out… They were very dry and bland. Tasted like a dry cake – this recipe turned out nothing like the photos. :/

I have an obsession with all things peanut butter; and when combined with chocolate, it’s just short of Heaven! I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I use for both regular drop cookies and when I get lazy, bar cookies. I have never tried to add peanut butter to them. Now, I won’t have to do that! Thanks for posting this…can’t wait to try it!

I don’t make blondies often (or, for that matter, I think I’ve made them only once), but these just might set me on a blondie-making-craze!

Trackbacks

1. […] lunch Hamburger Vegetable Soup, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls, cheese & crackers, fruit/veggies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies (we’re having company over) Cheese quesadillas, carrot sticks Scrambled eggs, toast, and […]