Quickly whip up these fun Milo & Coco Pops Parfaits with a few simple store-bought ingredients! A great alternative for Australia Day dessert!
Layers are totally cool.
Layers of clothes, in just the right colors and textures. Layers of cozy bed sheets, blankets, quilts and pillows. Layers of props in a food photo, like linens, plates and bowls. And, of course, layers in desserts such as trifles, cakes and parfaits.
Take this dessert, for example. Check out these chocolatey layers, broken by fluffy clouds of whipped cream. How lovely does it look!
This is a Milo & Coco Pops Parfait. It’s a pretty impressive dessert. Or maybe a very indulgent snack! We have layers of crunchy, crumbled triple chocolate cookies… layers of Milo-swirled whipped cream… layers of crispy Coco Pops… layers of velvety chocolate mousse. Do I really need to say anything else?
This is one of the easiest desserts you could throw together, by the way. It requires only a small handful of mostly ready-made ingredients. All you need to do is crumble a few cookies, whip the cream, swirl through the Milo and then just layer! Done!
Just a couple of notes – 1) the recipe states you need 4x 300ml serving glasses to divide the layers between. I can tell you that I only had 2x 300ml serving glasses and, after filling them both to the top, I had no ingredients leftover. I’d suggest you use a smaller serving glass and you might find that the ingredients won’t reach the top of the glass, 2) you’ll need to serve these immediately, because the crunchy bits – the cookies and the Coco Pops – will go all soggy and then, well, it just isn’t too pleasant to eat after that! You need the different textures in this dessert for it to work.
Oh, by the way, it’s Australia Day today! Wouldn’t this make an excellent dessert to share with friends and family! Perhaps a welcome break from the classic lamingtons and pavlovas (although we still love them, of course!)!
This recipe comes from the January/February 2017 issue of taste.com.au magazine and was created by Miranda Payne. Specific brand ingredients are listed, but feel free to substitute with other brands or flavors to suit your needs.
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon Milo powder, plus extra to serve
- 8 Paradise Cottage Cookies Triple Temptation cookies, coarsely broken, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup (26g) Coco Pops
- 4 80g tubs Connoisseur Belgian Chocolate Mousse
- Use a whisk or electric mixer to beat thickened cream to soft peaks. Add Milo and gently swirl through the cream. Make sure just to swirl the Milo, and not completely mix it in.
- Divide half the crumbled cookies between four 300ml serving glasses*. Top with half of the whipped cream, then half of the Coco Pops, then half of the mousse. Continue layering with remaining cookies, whipped cream, Coco Pops and mousse so that you've got two layers of each. Crumble a couple extra cookies and sprinkle them on top of the parfaits along with a dusting of Milo.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe calls for specific brands, but feel free to substitute the ingredients to suit your needs and tastes.