A fancied-up Australian treat that is full of chocolate, cookies, coconut and pecans and coated with a beautiful dark- and white-chocolate swirl!
During the school holidays, which have just ended, I was constantly looking for something quick to whip up. Something delicious, easy and satisfying for the kids to enjoy during their time off school.
The Australian-favorite, hedgehog slice, has been on my to-do list for quite a while now and these past holidays seemed like the perfect time to make them.
I know a lot of you are wondering what on Earth a hedgehog slice is! Basically, it’s a super easy, fool-proof, no-bake fudgy bar that’s full of chocolate, crushed cookies, finely shredded coconut and chopped nuts and coated with a layer of pure chocolate.
My version uses Marie biscuits for the cookies and toasted pecans for the nuts. I fancied up the pure chocolate layer by swirling it with blobs of white chocolate! Doesn’t it look pretty!
This slice is easily customizable with your choice of cookies (I think Oreos or Biscoff would be great!) and nuts. It’s so easy to make and definitely something the kids can help out with.
Personally, I’d like to create either a peanut butter or Biscoff version of the hedgehog slice! What do you think!? 🙂
- 250g packet of plain biscuits*
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup toasted pecans*, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 80g white chocolate, chopped
- Line the base and sides of a 30x20cm baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the dark chocolate, butter and sweetened condensed milk over low heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture has melted. Set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the biscuits into a zip lock bag, and push out all the air before sealing. Use the end of a rolling pin to carefully crush the biscuits. Place the broken biscuits in a large bowl and add the coconut, pecans and cocoa.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined and all the dry ingredients have been thoroughly coated.
- Press firmly into the prepared tin (if you're having trouble just using your spoon to press it in, place a piece of baking paper on top of the mixture and then press the mixture down with your hands) and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- To make the chocolate topping, place chopped dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir regularly until the chocolate is smooth.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped white chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave the white chocolate in 20- to 30-second intervals, stirring thoroughly after each 20-30 seconds.
- Grab the hedgehog slice out of the refrigerator and pour the melted dark chocolate over the slice. Smooth the chocolate out to the edges by tilting the pan. Once the top is completely coated, give the pan a couple taps on your workspace to pop out any air bubbles. Then, spoon some blobs of melted white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate (you don't need to use all the white chocolate). Using a toothpick, swirl the white chocolate blobs into the dark chocolate until you are happy with your design. Tap the pan on your workspace a couple more times to flatten out the chocolate topping.
- Place the hedgehog slice back into the refrigerator for 1 hour or until completely set.
- Cut the slice into small squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.