Hello! Welcome to the sweetest kitchen, where you’ll find a collection of recipes to make your day just a little bit sweeter!
My blog began back in 2008 (then called The Cupcake Review) on Blogspot when I was inspired to make some cupcakes that I saw a recipe for on a TV show. One year later, sweetest kitchen was born and I began to branch into baking other things besides cupcakes!
I used to run a monthly cupcake competition on my blog! Read about it here!
I am an Indiana farmgirl at heart, but I live in Sydney, Australia with my husband, four children and an orange cat. Baking and blogging occupies a lot of my time, but, believe it or not, I also love taking macro pictures of spiders.
Speaking of photography, I’ve come a long way with my food photos since I started blogging. I now use a variety of props to style my photos, and, after browsing many cookbooks and food magazines, I am a bit better at styling my food. Vinyl backdrops are one of my key ingredients for taking a good photo; I buy mine at Oz Backdrops & Props (you can save $10 on postage by entering the code SWEETEST at the checkout if you want your own vinyl backdrops, and be sure read about my experience with vinyl backdrops in this post).
All the photos I’ve posted on the blog are mine, unless credited otherwise. I use a Nikon D3100 camera. I have a few lenses that I switch between, but nearly all the photos since about June 2017 have been taken with a Nikon Micro 105mm lens. All the photos from before March 29, 2011 were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5400.
The sweetest kitchen logo (the pink frilly circle with the cupcake, whisk and cherries inside) in a lot of my photos was designed by Lisa Orgler of Paper Garden Workshop. Many thank-yous go to Triton Graphics for help with the current logo (the blue plate full of donuts and eclairs).
I love hearing about your experiences with the recipes I’ve posted here. Please leave a comment and a rating on the recipe post, and/or post a photo on Instagram and tag #sweetestkitchen so I can see what you’ve made!
Mentions and other stuff…
I’ve been featured on Cupcakes Take The Cake for my…
- matcha cupcakes on June 19, 2008
- watermelon cupcakes on June 29, 2008
- cupcake pops on July 18, 2008
- Nutella cupcakes on September 8, 2008
- Jupiter cupcakes on November 13, 2008
- matcha cocoa cupcakes on December 5, 2008
- I was a guest blogger on December 9, 2008
- featured in a watermelon cupcake roundup on June 3, 2009
- ice cream cupcakes on June 11, 2009
- featured in an ice cream cupcakes article July 17, 2009
- dulce de leche pumpkin cupcakes October 13, 2009
- chocolate salted dulce de leche cupcakes on March 5, 2010
- banana coconut cupcakes with creme fraiche frosting on June 16, 2010
- zombie hand Halloween cupcakes on October 11, 2010
- UFO cupcakes on August 24, 2011
- zombie blood Halloween cupcakes on November 1, 2012
- My zombie hand Halloween cupcakes were #9 on the 12 best Halloween cupcakes of St Louis’ River Front Times on October 8, 2010
- My zombie hand Halloween cupcakes were featured on The Storque at Etsy for Halloween ideas on October 7, 2010
- My pumpkin dulce de leche Halloween cupcakes were mentioned on Slashfood for best Halloween baking on October 18, 2010
- Selected recipes and photos from my blog included in the book Little Treats published by Foulsham Publishers in August 2011
- My zombie hand cupcakes photo is featured on the zombie hand cupcake topper product page at Bake It Pretty
- I was Cooking Superstar #83 at Cut out + Keep, August 2014
- My healthier chocolate peanut butter rice crispies treats are #8 on Buzzfeed’s Healthier Bake Sale Treats that are Perfect for Fall, September 2014
- My chocolate mousse with rose-scented whipped cream was featured on KitchenAid Australia/New Zealand’s Sweet Treat Tuesday, September 2014
- My espresso brigadieros are featured in the debut issue of Perk magazine, October 2014
- My matcha white chocolate pistachio cups are featured at #2 on TheLoop’s 21 Ways to Use Pistachios, February 2015
- My espresso brownies are featured at #30 on Momtastic’s 41 Decadent Chocolate Recipes for Valentine’s Day, February 2015
- My Macabella cupcakes recipe are featured on the Macabella recipes page, April 2015
- My green witch finger cookies were featured at #1 on People.com’s 10 Spooktacular Halloween Desserts, October 2014 & October 2016
- My pumpkin dulce de leche cupcakes are featured at #1 on Popsugar’s Latin-Inspired Halloween Snacks, October 2015 & October 2016
- My vanilla matcha latte popsicles recipes is featured on the Ujido Matcha recipes page, August 2016
- My strawberry matcha latte popsicles are featured in Wayfair article Never Too Matcha of a Good Thing, August 2016
- My white chocolate hazelnut panna cotta are featured at #15 on Buzzfeed’s White Chocolate Desserts Guaranteed to Make You Drool, October 2016
- A few of my recipes using Nespresso’s Grand Cru capsules have been featured in various Nespresso e-newsletters
- Some of my food photos are featured on the white brick vinyl backdrop and white worn wood vinyl backdrop pages at Oz Backdrops & Props
Competitions I’ve won…
- My Jupiter cupcakes won a National Geographic competition on Nov. 25, 2008
- My matcha cocoa cupcakes won Iron Cupcake: Earth in December 2008
- My matcha cranberry cupcakes won second place in Green Tea Powder’s matcha contest on Dec. 6, 2009
- My avocado ice cream won ABC delicious. magazine’s Share the Love Facebook competition on July 10, 2013